ONLINE EXCLUSIVE: Trio of drafted pitchers ink deals

All three UH pitchers selected in the 2009 Major League Baseball Draft have agreed to terms with their respective teams, ending their time as Cougars.

Southpaw pitcher Donnie Joseph, who was drafted in the third round (88th overall) by the Cincinnati Reds, has come to terms with the club. He was assigned the Billings Mustangs, a rookie ball team that plays in the Pioneer League. The Mustangs will begin their season Tuesday against the Great Falls Voyagers.

Wes Musick, a ninth rounds selection of the Colorado Rockies, has also inked his name. He was assigned to the short-season Class A Tri-City Dust Devils, who play in the Northwest League. Their season will begin Saturday at the Boise Hawks.

The left-handed hurler could soon be reunited with former UH teammate Jimmy Cesario, as he is only one level below Cesario. Cesario plays for the Ashville Tourists; the Rockies’ full-season Class A affiliate.

Right-hander Frank Corolla, the final Cougar drafted in the 2009 draft, has agreed to terms with the Washington Nationals. The19th-round selection was assigned to the short-season Class A Vermont Lake Monsters of the New York Penn League.

This marks the second time Musick and Corolla were drafted. In 2008, Musick was selected in the 24th round by the San Francisco Giants. The Arizona Diamondbacks drafted Corolla, who had just completed high school, in the 26th round in 2006.

Sophomore recognized for off-field contributions

David Murphy received the 2009 Conference USA’s Spirit of Service for baseball, C-USA Commissioner Britton Banowsky announced Wednesday.

The tri-yearly award recognizes student athletes for their service in the community. The award is quite appropriate in Murphy’s case, as it stems from his involvement with the Texas Children’s Hospital.

Murphy wanted to give back to the hospital after it helped him through his own illness. In September 2007, Murphy was diagnosed with acute lymphoid leukemia. After receiving treatment, the disease was driven into remission.

In the nearly two years that he has volunteered at Texas Children’s Hospital, the sophomore infielder has invited patients to serve as bat boys and throw honorary first pitches at UH baseball games. He has also served as a counselor at a camp for children with cancer called Camp Periwinkle.

Murphy has made strides on the field this season, starting 40 games and maintaining a 3.9 GPA. He also smacked his first career home run during the 2009 C-USA Baseball Tournament.

Due to technical issues with our Web site, this story was removed for a short time after it was published Thursday.