C-USA Notebook: UTEP forward selected to play on international stage

Texas-El Paso’s Arnett Moultrie was one of 12 players selected for the USA Under-19 World Championship Team after a three-day audition at the USA Team Trials.

The USA team is comprised of players born on or after Jan. 1, 1990 and will compete at the FIBA U-19 World Championship July 2-12 in Auckland, New Zealand. The team departs for New Zealand today.

Moultrie was one of the nation’s most productive freshmen last season, posting 8.8 points-per-game average to go along with 8.2 rebounds per game. His rebounding numbers ranked first among Conference USA freshmen and fifth nationally.

Tulsa Coach gets contract extension
University of Tulsa men’s head basketball coach Doug Wojcik has agreed to a new six-year contract, adding two years to his current deal. The new contract keeps Wojcik with the Golden Hurricanes through the 2014-2015 season.

In his four years at Tulsa, Wojcik has posted an 81-53 record and won 20 or more games in each of the last three seasons. He is also the only coach in school history to post three consecutive 20-plus win seasons and back-to-back 25-win seasons, feats not even the famous Tubby Smith or Bill Self could accomplish in their respective time there.

Southern Miss names new assistant
Greg Heiar has been named a Southern Miss assistant men’s basketball coach, pending approval by the university’s Board of Trustees. He replaces Nate Loensar, who accepted the position of director of basketball operations after the departure of Billy Reid.

Heiar joins the Southern Miss staff after spending the last six years as the Chipola, Fla. Junior College men’s head coach, compiling a 164-15 record. He was named the Panhandle Conference Coach of the Year the last five years and NJCAA Region VIII Coach of the Year four of the last five years.

Rice signee wins championship
Rice freshman-to-be Jade Scott won the 37th Southern Junior Golf Championship on June 18. He joined 2005 champion Michael Buttacavoli as the only other Owl to win the tournament.

Scott, who also medaled at the 2008 Texas Junior Golf Championships, shot a six-under 210 en route to winning the 54-hole tournament.

The championship qualifies Scott for the Southern Amateur Championship, scheduled in July at the Colonial Country Club in Cordova, Tenn. Buttacavoli is slated to join Scott as part of this year’s field.

Scott is following the family tradition started by his father, Johnny, who played golf at Rice in the ’70s.