Moultrie helps US bring home gold

Several C-USA basketball players had impressive showings at the FIBA U-19 World Championships Auckland, New Zealand, which concluded this weekend.

Texas-El Paso sophomore forward Arnett Moultrie helped Team USA win its first gold medal since 1991, saving his best performance of the tournament for the championship game.

He scored 10 points and led the Americans with nine rebounds in the 88-80 victory over Greece. He also logged 21 minutes, a personal high for the tournament, shot 4-for-4 from the field and chipped in two assists.

Moultrie also led the U.S. squad in rebounding for the tournament, averaging 6.1 boards per game.

Team USA finished with a 9-0 record and will look to defend their title when the tournament returns in 2011.

Incoming Rice freshman Arsalan Kazemi, who served as Iran’s captain, led the team in scoring and rebounding with 16.6 points and 12.2 rebounds per game.

He also finished second on the team in assists with three per game; one of the few bright spots for an Iranian squad that finished 1-4 in tournament play.

Central Florida sophomore guard Isaac Sosa cooled off from his torrid start to the tournament, helping Puerto Rico place sixth out of 16 teams. After totaling 18 and 20 points in his first two games, respectively, Sosa finished as the team’s third-leading scorer with 9.6 points per contest.

He also connected on 18 of 39 3-pointers during the tournament (46.2 percent), 10th-best among all competitors.

On the women’s front, Marshall senior Chantelle Handy assisted Great Britain team to a sixth-place finish at the 25th World University Games in Belgrade, Serbia.

Handy ended the tournament with a 17 point-per-game average on 85 percent shooting. She also averaged 7.8 rebounds and two assists per contest.

UCF goalkeeper posts shutout
Central Florida sophomore goalkeeper Aline Reis, who is currently training with the Brazilian Women’s National Team, led her team to a 7-0 shutout in a friendly match with a local Brazilian squad this weekend.

The match was part of preparation for the 2011 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Germany.

UCF coach joins Team USA
UCF head women’s track and field coach Caryl Smith Gilbert was named Team USA jumps coach Sunday for the upcoming IAAF World Outdoor Championships. Gilbert led the Golden Knights to second at the 2009 C-USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

The IAFF competition will be held Aug. 15-23 at Berlin Olympic Stadium in Berlin.