Youth gain technical insight

Despite a steep price, iD Tech Camps is animating young adults at UH for the fourth consecutive year.

Campus laboratories provide a venue for qualified staff to deliver hands-on instruction in flash animation and 2-D and 3-D game modification. Young adults used this knowledge to create their own original video games.

Houston iD Tech Director Anela Wenger believes her camp lives up to its motto, ‘turning hobbies into career opportunities.’

‘The iD Tech Camp is a camp where kids get to come and create projects,’ Wenger said. ‘These days, with Wii and Xbox, the teenage demographic is video games. We are engaging them in the thing they love the most while trying to expose them to other things, like outside activities.’

The campers’ college experience goes beyond the laboratory, as some shell out extra money to live on campus. Wenger said the camp could also push students to continue their education after high school.

‘It’s a great opportunity for kids to become a part of a campus and get a taste of what it’s like to live in the dorms,’ Wenger said. ‘They’re getting a really neat opportunity that will hopefully drive them to college.’

Using software such as Multimedia Fusion, Adobe Flash Player and Dreamweaver, students design games according to their interests, Wenger said.

iD Tech Camp is a family-owned program based in California. It was created to provide a second education in technology for teenagers.

The camp has various sites throughout the U.S. including UCLA, Stanford, Northwestern, Columbia and the University of Texas.

Despite the appeal, prices can leave a void in parents’ summer vacation budget.

For a week-long session, day camper students pay $779 for the expanse of games, software and computers. Overnight campers pay $1,199, which includes evening activities, food and residence hall expenses.

Sterling Harris, 11, said his mother thought the camp is expensive. Harris, however, thought it would be fun to attend the camp with two of his friends because of his interest in technology.

‘I thought this would be very fun, and it is. It’s very expensive, but I love it,’ Harris said.

Harris has used his mother’s funds and the camp’s instruction well, developing his own spin on capture the flag.

‘I’ve been working on Unreal Tournament 3. The point of the game is like capture the flag, but with a red and blue base. My place is constructed like a tiny army (with) bunkers and forts.’

Pablo Adame, 14, said his uncle discovered iD Tech Camp on the Internet. After arriving in Houston from Mexico City, Adame created his own video game that features Romeo, who rescues a princess named Juliet.

Adame said he loved the instruction, but realizes prices are a grave concern for many people.

Those who can afford the expense can sign their children up to attend a six-week gaming period.

Campers can go to a different course each week, repeat the same course or return the following year.

‘Each week is a self-contained course. We do have a lot of campers who will sign up for another week and enroll in a different course,’ Wenger said. ‘A lot of campers return the next year to make more complex projects.’

Wenger is amazed at the students’ level of focus.

At the end of the week, they have a working project,’ Wegner said. ‘Seeing that hard work turn into something tangible drives them toward the ideal of accomplishment.’