UH NOTEBOOK: Volleyball splits C-USA matches

The Cougar volleyball team notched its first win in conference play with a 3-1 (21-25, 25-21, 25-23, 28-26) victory over Memphis at Elma Roane Fieldhouse on Saturday. With the win, the Cougars improved to 4-13 and 1-1 in Conference USA.

The Cougars dropped the first set 25-21 but rebounded to take the next three and the match.

Junior Amanda Carson followed Friday’s 30-dig performance with a 2-dig match and four Cougars racked up double-digit kills. Senior Kinsey Cave led the attack with 17 kills and chipped in with nine digs.

UH dropped its first C-USA match Friday at Alabama-Birmingham 3-1 (19-25, 23-25, 25-20, 22-25). Cave led the way with 22 kills and Tara Roenicke tallied 41 assists.

The Cougars return to action when they host Tulane at 7 p.m. Friday.

Soccer splits road trip

The soccer team finished 1-1 on its weekend road trip, falling 2-1 to Marshall on Friday and defeating East Carolina 2-1 on Sunday.

The Cougars (3-6-0, 1-1-0) seemed headed for an 0-2 start in their C-USA schedule after falling behind 1-0 to the Pirates (6-2-2, 1-1-0) early in Sunday’s match.’

The score remained in the Pirate’s favor until sophomore Jessica Zavalza’s shot was rejected by ECU keeper Jen Kurowicki and the rebound converted by the Cougars’ Katelyn Rhodes for her first career goal.’

With the score knotted at 1-1 Stephanie Derieg found Zavalza with a long pass that Zavalza shot home for the winning goal.’

UH dropped Friday’s C-USA opener 2-1 to Marshall at Sam Hood Field after falling behind in the seventh minute. The Thundering Herd doubled their advantage in the 21st minute but UH countered in the 29th minute when junior Lauri Byrne scored her first goal of the season.’

The Cougars return to action when they travel to Tulsa, Okla. to take on the Golden Hurricane Friday at 7 p.m.

Cross country dominates at LSU

The men’s and women’s cross country teams took home first at the Louisiana State Invitational on Saturday with 29 and 40 points, respectively.’

It marks the second time the women have placed first in an event this season and the men’s first first-place finish.

Sophomore Stephanie Aldea repeated her top-overall finish from 2008, clocking in with a 19.01.00 time over the 5K course.

The Cougars return to action when they travel to South Bend, Ind. for the Notre Dame Invitational on Friday.

Softball sweeps competition

‘ UH Softball went 4-0 over the weekend at the Sugarland College Classic, knocking off San Jacinto and Texas State Saturday, 6-0 and 2-1, respectively. They defeated Blinn 7-0, and Galveston 16-2 on Sunday.

The team returns to action for the SKGSL College Classic on Saturday. when they take on Galveston at 2 p.m.’