Linebacker values long journey

Outside linebacker C.J. Cavness entered his senior season as one of five returning defensive starters, and with a sense of urgency to make his last year on campus a memorable one. Saturday’s loss not withstanding, he and his cohorts are already progressing on that front.’

As a walk-on-turned-scholarship player, Cavness can appreciate how a relentless work ethic can land players in high regard. Still, he has fond memories of his first game action, which came after two years of waiting.

Cavness redshirted for the 2005 season, and was forced to miss all of the 2006 campaign with a knee injury.’

When 2007 rolled around, Cavness was ready to show what he could do.

‘It was tough,’ Cavness said of his two years spent on the sideline. ‘It felt good to come back and be able to play’hellip; and have a good chance to see the field as a walk-on.”

Given the up-and-down nature of college football, Cavness has learned to take the good with the bad, never getting too excited after wins or too upset after losses. This attitude will serve him well as the team deals with its first dose of adversity this season.

‘I think the next game is always the best opportunity for you,’ Cavness said. ‘My job is to lead by example, show coaches (that I have) what it takes to win and how you (have) got to prepare every week to face the opponent week by week.’

Cavness emerged in 2008 as a solid defender for the Cougars, appearing in all 13 games. He made his first career start when then-No. 24 Tulsa came to Robertson Stadium Nov. 15. In classic Cavness fashion, he approached it like any other contest.’

‘At the time, Tulsa was coming in here with the best-rated offense in the country,’ Cavness said. ‘It was my first start and I prepared and just focused on winning that game.’

Cavness made the most of his first start, recording 16 tackles to lead the defense as Houston rolled Tulsa 70-30. In the Armed Forces Bowl, Cavness had another huge game with 15 tackles to propel the Cougars to a 34-28 win over Air Force.’

Cavness believes having a strong senior season will not only help the team but also those who will be led by today’s underclassmen.’

‘My main goal is to leave a reputation around here of winning,’ Cavness said. ‘We’ve got to make that a habit, show these young guys what it takes to win.’

Like most college players, Cavness has an interest in all things football, including the NFL.’ He admires some of the league’s top linebackers, but also has a certain affinity for an undersized gun-slinging quarterback from the Crescent City.

‘I like watching (the Saints’) Drew Brees play,’ Cavness said. ‘I like watching Ray Lewis, DeMeco Ryans. It seems like (Ryans) is making every tackle for the Texans. It’s just fun watching linebackers in the NFL make plays.”

When he’s not immersed in football, Cavness enjoys playing with his dogs, hunting and fishing. Cavness traces his success back to his mentor ‘- his mother ‘- as someone who has always provided support, on and off the field.’

‘I think my mom has been there for me a lot through my struggles and good times,’ Cavness said. ‘She’s always been there, my number one fan. She’s always in the stands and will never miss a game, no matter what.’

‘She’s always my rock when I need somebody to talk to and lean on, and she’s there for me through it all.’