Students grow in, out of classroom

Academic prestige, location and tuition are on the minds of the majority of students who apply to college.

But one of the main factors that students take into account is life on campus.

‘Student life at UH is big,’ Marcella Leung, director of the Department of Campus Activities, said.’ ‘There is so much to do on this campus that it is amazing.’

Leung said that the Department of Campus Activities works with the 350-400 registered student organizations on campus, the five fee-funded organizations and the four Greek councils, which all put on programs and events throughout the year.

Along with the student organizations, UH has 16 intercollegiate sports teams, and there are about 4,000 students that live on campus in residence halls, apartments and townhomes.

UH prides itself on being a leading public research institution, but that does not mean that students cannot have a good time on campus.’

‘There are many ways that students can get involved on campus,’ Leung said.’ ‘Everyone is looking for students to join their organizations and activities.’

Jason Bergeron, assistant director of campus activities for Greek Life, said fraternity men and sorority women represent approximately 1,000 students, or about 3 percent of our student population.

Leung said that fraternity and sorority life at UH provides a strong connection to other students and the opportunity to build ties to brothers or sisters.

‘Students that participate in fraternities and sororities are able to meet and become acquainted with people that they would never have known otherwise,’ Leung said.’ ‘In addition, being a member of a fraternity or sorority builds a support network for you, and who doesn’t need that during college?’

According to The Princeton Review, the top party school in the country is Penn State University.’ The University of Florida, the University of Mississippi, the University of Georgia, and Ohio University round out the top five.’ The University of Texas at Austin ranks No. 7 on the list.

Leung said she does not consider UH to be a party school.

‘I do not consider UH being a party school because most of our students have multiple responsibilities ‘- school, work, family – that keep them occupied and busy taking care of these responsibilities,’ Leung said.’ ‘I do not think that UH will become a party school, and I say that because we attract students that are already citizens in the Houston community and are connected with many duties outside of school.’

Leung also said the University gives people that are living in the city of Houston the opportunity to get a great education in their own back yard.

The campus offers all the amenities and high-tech facilities required by modern university life.

According to the UH Web site, in the past few years UH has made more than $220 million in campus improvements.

One of these is the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center, which offers many amenities, including three gyms, a 53-foot-high rock climbing wall, pools, and a sand volleyball court.’ The center is recognized by the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association as one of the most outstanding sports centers in the nation.