Group puts on free events

The Student Program Board is a student-funded organization that works to involve students in UH activities by hosting events throughout each semester.

Many of the events hosted by the SPB are free or have a minimal cost.’

‘We don’t want to charge anybody anything because they are already paying for it,’ SPB President Sean Tarver said.’

The SPB targets the student body as a whole rather than specific organizations.’

‘We tried to diversify it as much as we could with movies, comedy shows and any generic events,’ Tarver said.’

‘We didn’t want to have any events that isolated 80 percent of the population. We’re going to have a lot of events where everybody has something that they can benefit from.’

The fall concert series is free to students, and gives local talents a chance to display their music, but benefits the SPB through its marketing.

‘We like to bring a variety of music on campus, preferably local talent, but sometimes we do get bands outside of Houston or Texas,’ SPB Concert Chair Derrick Maples said.’

‘I personally like it when we have students become part of it because it helps bring student involvement and advertisement.’

Maples said people connect more when students are involved because they tend to communicate with their friends when their fellow students are performing.’

The Athletic Department has partnered with the SPB to give students more activities in one location.’

‘We schedule our novelty events the same time as pep rallies to provide an extra audience,’ Tarver said.’ ‘It’s a collaboration we’ve been doing for two years now that really works out.”

Tiffany Santhavi, a public relations student, plans to attend the SPB’s screening of the movie Friday the 13th at 7 p.m. Oct. 27. in the University Center Pacific Room.’

‘I just recently found out about the program and thought it would be a great way to interact with people and watch a good, scary movie with my friends for free,’ Santhavi said.’

Tarver said one of the biggest events for the SPB would be its Winter Wonderland on Dec. 2, which will be held outside the UC and C.T. Bauer College of Business.

‘We’re going to have 50,000 pounds of snow with sleds so people can slide, a snowball fight, an ice rink for skating and a gingerbread competition,’ Tarver said.’

Students can get involved in the program by attending meetings, volunteering for events or joining an SPB committee.’

‘Students give their money to UH; through SPB, they have the most effect of how that money is spent,’ Tarver said. ‘Whatever y’all want, we’ll do.”