SOCCER: Cougars miss out on C-USA tourney

The Cougars embarked on their last road trip of the regular season needing at least one win and a tie to have a chance at making the Conference USA tournament.’

They managed neither and now must play the rest of the opponents on their schedule for pride.

The two losses dropped the Cougars (4-11-2, 2-6-2 C-USA) to 11th in C-USA, with only the top six teams making the postseason.

Rice (5-10-3, 3-6-1), UH’s next opponent, took over sole possession of 10th.

The Cougars kept the ball out of the net for the first 78 minutes of Friday’s match against UTEP until Lauren Frazier was found out of position. This gave Tameka Sumtner an open net to score the game-winning goal for the Miners (13-5, 7-3).

UH’s bad fortune continued Sunday, as it dropped a 2-0 decision to Colorado College on a snowy field in Colorado Springs, Colo.’ The Tigers tallied 22 shots against the Cougars with ten being on goal. ‘

Goalkeeper Lauren Frazier had to come up with a personal-best eight saves to keep the deficit at 1-0. In the 78th minute, however, Colorado College’s Brittney Lyman scored to put the match out of reach.

Although the Cougars’ postseason hopes have been squashed, the team has plenty of reasons to keep fighting during Friday’s season finale against Rice. ‘

For some players, this will be the final game of their collegiate career. Seniors Kaitlin Thulin, Christine Nieva, Nikki Echeverria and Stephanie Beyelia will have to play this game as if it is the last, because in part it will be.

Pride is another reason to show the other team, who also will not advance to the postseason, UH has not given up.

The crosstown rivalry will begin at 7 p.m. Friday at Rice Track Stadium.