University continues eco-friendly push with balloon launch, bowling

UH held its second Green UH Day on Thursday, where students were invited to learn ways to recycle and keep the environment green.

‘Green UH Day began last year to kick off the University’s conversation on being green,’ Assistant Vice President for University Services Emily Messa said. ‘The event was launched and successful due to contributions by many at UH.’

Messa said that after the 2008 event, the University launched a new recycling program by installing the first of 300 new outdoor bins, dumpster dives, which involve pulling recyclables from trash bins, planting at the UH Hilton, test driving electric cars and holding activities sponsored by the UH Environmental Club and Engineers Without Borders.

‘This year is going to be exciting,’ Auxiliary Services programs coordinator Jonas Chin said. ‘We’re adding more activities like a recycle bowling game, dumpster (dives) and eco-tours around campus. The eco-tours will be tours highlighting the green spaces on our campus. There will be an (electric) car as well for students to ride.’

Messa said Thursday’s event builds on what the University started with the 2008 event.

‘This year, it has evolved into a much bigger event because we are celebrating the successes that were started last year,’ Messa said.

In addition to informing the campus of how to go green, the event also hosted games such as Dumpster Dive.

‘Dumpster Dive is when students are given garbage-picking pickers ‘hellip; to pick out the recyclable trash from the trash cans,’ Chin said.

Jason Cantu, a UH graduate student who works with ReEnergize Houston, a local organization dedicated to a clean energy future, spoke of ways to go green not only on campus but all around the Houston area.

‘We’re an organization trying to spread awareness about climate change and air quality issues. We want to reenergize the community,’ Cantu said.

Steve Arnold, a user services specialist, shared ways on how to recycle paper and used electronics.

‘You can even recycle shredded paper, just make sure your personal information is not found on the pieces,’ Arnold said. ‘If you have worn electronics, dispose of them properly. The City of Houston has three locations that accept electronic recycling. It is free of charge for Houston residents. Of course, make sure to delete all your information from your electronics before recycling.’