Texans need to vote in larger numbers

Texas had dismal voter turnouts Tuesday. Slightly more than 8 percent of the registered voters in Texas cast ballots approving all 11 of the proposed Texas Constitutional Amendments.’

That means the Texas Constitution has now been amended 467 times.’

This scant turnout demonstrates how disengaged Texans are. Maybe Texans have lost their appetites for politics.

To put things in perspective, a registered voters poll from the University of Texas yielded alarming results: the economic depression concerned more than 50 percent of the poll’s respondents, while political corruption and health care were scarcely a concern. ‘

Is there a purpose to be made for voting? There certainly is.

Social order is a status accomplished by the equal interactions between the government and the governed. Sadly, this interaction has gone astray, leaving civilians with the illusion of exacting influences.’

Voting rights were degraded to a mere luxury since issues such as unemployment and health care occupied the minds of the working class.’

The struggling lower-middle class is the backbone of the U.S., posing for approximately one-third of the population.

Elementary, my dear Watson:’ if you sabotage the preoccupied voters, then you will control the government.’

Voting became the product of unseen special interests feeding egotistic politicians. It would be to no one’s surprise if lobbyists casting ballots lawfully sabotaged the Texas election while average Texans ignored the process. Perhaps anything could be passed?

The upcoming mayoral runoff is between two Democrats – unexpected for such a conservative state. Yet if one digs deeper, Democrats in a sense have long abandoned their political agenda and have transformed into a leviathan-like creature lobbying the sea for both Democrat and Republican interests.

There is still a basis for optimism. Although Texans were split over the quality of public education, Proposition 4 was passed. If Proposition 4 succeeds in improving higher education in Texas, voting rates should increase; educated citizens tend to be informed participants in making public decisions.

Like a case of dehydration, it can simply be fixed with water rather than continuing to suppress the symptoms. What breaks a country is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.

Bissan Rafe is a biology senior and may be reached at [email protected]