STYLE FILES presents winter savings

The weather is getting colder and nights are getting longer. Glam is the name of the game this winter, so prepare for the months to come by shopping around for the season’s best deals.

Accessories
Soon, it will be too cold for most women to rock tights and a mini-skirt while walking across campus, but those who need a little ’80s glam in their wardrobe have plenty of options with this season’s colorful arm warmers, beanies, mittens and scarves.

Virtually every fine department store sells accessories, but try to visit college favorites such as Buffalo Exchange and Target for a wider selection of funky items. Online stores such as etsy.com sell plenty of homemade accessories for prices ranging from $10 to $100.

Jewelry
Spice up that old hat with a sparkling brooch or pin, or splurge on a new necklace to complete your winter outfits.

Stylish jewelry is easy to find, especially now that the resurgence of the ’80s has given fashionistas the freedom to power their outfits with jewels and loud colors.

Keep an eye out for sales at department stores, or support local artists by shopping at their Web sites.

Sweaters and Jackets
This season’s sweaters and jackets come in a spectrum of quirky colors, celebrating bold pinks, lime greens and aquamarine. When designers saw room for faux fur, sequins or bright jewel tones on a piece of women’s outerwear, they went wild.

The result is a fun collection of outerwear that can be seen at any department store. However, the more demure fashionista can still lean on classic neutral blacks and browns.

For men, bomber jackets, sport coats and pea coats are still casually stylish. Argyle cardigans and sweaters have hit the scene and can be layered with solid-colored or plaid-collared shirts for a more formal flair.

This winter, fashion is fun, wild and free. Express yourself with the season’s bright colors and wild patterns.