Undergraduate office’s scholarship program affords students research opportunities

The Provost’s Undergraduate Research Scholarship Program offers a scholarship open to juniors and seniors at UH, giving students a chance to participate in a research project with assistance from a UH faculty mentor.

The deadline for the scholarship applications is Friday.

The scholarship gives a student $1,000 for one semester of research and interaction with faculty members in other scholarly activities. The award is sponsored and funded by the Provost’s office.

Karen Weber, director for the office of undergraduate research, believes the scholarship would be beneficial to a student’s career.

‘This award is much more than a $1,000 scholarship,’ Weber said. ‘It allows juniors and seniors to conduct a mentored research project under the guidance of a faculty member in their field. Conducting a mentored research project is a good way to get to know a faculty member outside of the classroom.

‘In addition, conducting a research project through the PURS program is an ideal preparation for students planning to pursue an advanced degree.’

Eligibility requirements are a 3.0 cumulative grade-point average for those who have completed 12 hours in residence at UH and a 3.5 cumulative GPA for those who have completed fewer than 12 hours in residence at UH. Graduate students, or those who have participated in the PURS program in a previous semester, are ineligible for the scholarship.

The scholarship requires more than just a high GPA. Weber said it is also ‘based on the caliber of the applicant’s research statement, the strength of the student’s academic record and the content of the faculty mentor’s letter of recommendation.’

The scholarship is open to students of all majors with research proposals.

‘Each semester, a wide range of majors and departments are represented in the PURS program, which contributes to the strength and vitality of the program,’ Weber said.

The PURS faculty selection committee determines the recipients. Weber advises that candidates take their time in developing their research statements for the application.

‘This aspect of their application is extremely important,’ Weber said.

To secure a research opportunity for the PURS program, students are advised to discuss opportunities with a professor who teaches a class of interest to the applicant. If the professor does not have available research opportunities, he or she may offer a referral to a professor who does.

Students can also visit their academic advisers for further help in finding a list of professors.