WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: Cougars set for home opener

The UH women’s basketball team will finally play its first regular-season home game when it hosts Oregon State at 7 p.m. today inside Hofheinz Pavilion. The Cougars enter this matchup with a 2-0 record after a pair of road wins.

Oregon State comes into the game with a 1-0 record after knocking off visiting Cal Poly 71-61 Friday. The Beavers never trailed and withstood a late Cal Poly rally to pull out the season-opening win.

Oregon State’ was led by Talisa Rhea’s 20 points and Kirsten Tilleman’s career-best 19 points.

The Cougars lost last year’s game against the Beavers in Corvallis, Ore., and will be looking to avenge the road loss while keeping a perfect record.

UH’s season opener Friday in Boiling Springs, N.C., against Gardner-Webb was tight early in the game, but the Cougars used a second-half surge to turn a 37-34 halftime lead into a 86-64 victory.

Junior guard Brittney Scott fueled the scoring explosion, tallying 19 of her game-high 27 points after the intermission. Junior forward Courtney Taylor also proved too much for the Runnin’ Bulldogs, scoring 12 points while pulling down a game-high 16 rebounds for her 26th career double-double.

Tuesday’s game against UT-Arlington was a much closer contest, but it was another double dose of Scott and Taylor that propelled the Cougars to their second road win of the season. Scott again tied her career high with 27 points and Taylor recorded another double-double with 27 points and 10 rebounds to pace the Cougars to a 78-74 win.

UH will end its week with a game at LSU on Saturday.