Men’s, women’s basketball suffer setbacks on road

The men’s basketball team went to Reno, Nev. on Saturday looking to build off their season-opening victory over Nicholls State.

What the Cougars received was an opponent more than willing to run and gun with them en route to 112-99 loss to the Wolfpack at the Lawlor Events Center.

Nevada jumped out to a 21-11 lead in the first half and UH (1-1) had a difficult time trying to come back.

The Cougars, however, did manage to score 44 points in the first half despite making only 38 percent of their shots. Nevada (2-1), on the other hand, scored a remarkable 61 points before the break on 63 percent shooting.

The halftime deficit would be too much for the Cougars to overcome, but they didn’t give up and slowly crawled their way back into the game. UH inched as close as 98-91, but didn’t have enough to complete the comeback.

The Wolfpack shot 60 percent for the game, with three players topping 20 points.

Guards Aubrey Coleman and Adam Brown led the Cougars with 32 and 25 points, respectively.

UH will continue its four-game road trip when it takes part in the Great Alaska Shootout, Thursday through Saturday in Anchorage, Alaska. The Cougars will then return home to take on Texas A&M-Corpus Christi at 2 p.m. on Dec. 6 at Hofheinz Pavilion. ‘

Swimming and Diving

The women’s swimming and diving team remained in the middle of the pack during the Cougar Classic Fall Invitational.

The field included Air Force, Incarnate Word, SMU, LSU, Texas A&M, Tulane and UNLV.

One of the few bright spots for the Cougars was diver Anastasia Pozdniakova. She won the 3-meter diving event Friday with a score of 364.40 score. On Saturday, Pozdniakova won her fourth consecutive 1-meter diving event, compiling 347.45 points.

UH also excelled in the relay finals on Saturday, as two teams swam in the 200-yard medley relay.

The ‘A’ team of Jessica Shamburger, Beccy Hillis, Andrea Kells and Kim Eeson won their relay and finished sixth in the overall event. The B team of Kimmy Ballo, Holli Pisarski, Natalie Newcomb and Christine Salinas won their relay and placed 13th.

The Cougars also dazzled in the 800-yard freestyle relay. The team of Olga Bordatcheva, Salinas, Ballo and Eeson won and placed ninth overall.’

Women’s Basketball

The women’s basketball team has held its own so far during a difficult early-season schedule. Saturday’s game against No. 7 LSU was the stiffest challenge yet for the Cougars.

UH could not keep up with the Tigers, falling 72-54 in Baton Rouge, La. for their first loss of the season.

The game was an offensive struggle for both teams, but the Cougars (2-1) experienced more problems.’

The score was tied at 12 with 10:19 remaining in the first, but the Tigers (3-0) used a 19-10 run to go into halftime holding a 31-22 advantage. The Cougars shot only 34 percent in the first half and shot only two free throws.

Both teams couldn’t find their shooting touch in the second half, but LSU made up for it in other areas.

The Tigers out-rebounded UH 50 to 35, grabbing 18 of their boards on offense. LSU also took care of the ball, committing only eight turnovers compares to the Cougars’ 18.

UH will attempt to rebound when it travels to Coral Gables, Fla. to take on Miami at 11 a.m. Tuesday. The Cougars will then participate in the Coors Rocky Mountain Invitational on Friday and Saturday before returning home to take on North Texas at 7 p.m. on Dec. 5 at Hofheinz Pavilion.