STAFF EDITORIAL: Media should focus on more pertinent news stories

Tiger Woods has been under scrutiny since he was involved in a one-vehicle accident early Friday near his home in Orlando, Fla. Woods hasn’t spoken of the incident to authorities or the public; instead, he has addressed the issue through his Web site.

Although Woods hasn’t offered any explanation of what happened, he wrote that the accident was his fault and is keeping quiet to protect his family from embarrassment.

Some people have speculated that Woods was headed to meet a supposed mistress the day of the accident and that most of Woods’ bruises were caused by a fight he had with his wife, rather than the wreck itself.

Woods has cancelled three interviews with police, and the media is wondering why he won’t release a statement and has canceled a scheduled appearance at his golf tournament in California.

CNN senior legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin said in an interview that Woods is under no obligation to speak to authorities under the Fifth Amendment because it was such a minor issue.

Although the accident was minor and Woods’ appears to be OK, news media have made a big issue of Woods not releasing a satement on what happened that day.

But why are we so obsessed with what celebrities do – or, in this case, don’t do? Why care if he was on his way to meet a mistress? If he and his wife had a fight, shouldn’t that be their concern?

Society is focused more on celebrity mess-ups than on the wars and famines happening around the world. Instead of addressing the big issues, the major news this week has been Woods and his accident.

Leave the man alone. It is not anyone’s business what he was or wasn’t doing that day. No one was seriously hurt. Whatever happened between him and his wife is their business.