Students weather slow economy

With the U.S. unemployment rate jumping to 10 percent, most students are uncertain of how to approach the job market. For many, the rate means finding a job that may not deal with want they to do after graduation.

For the past three years, Daniel Huhman, a senior history major, has worked at The Fish Gallery as a freshwater specialist.

‘I answer questions about fish, sell fish and keep them healthy,’ Huhman said.

Huhman helps customers’ and answers questions. He has also had the unusual task of ‘battening down the hatches’ when Hurricane Ike barreled through Houston.

‘We spent the day prior getting our two shoddy back-up generators ready and ran extension cords and air lines all over the store,’ Huhman said. ‘That night, me, my girlfriend and one of my co-workers volunteered to ride the storm out at the store.’

Another student found an unusual job that fits his unusual hobby. Davis Taylor, an undeclared junior, decided to take up the task of being a judge for Magic: The Gathering tournaments. Magic is a card game.

‘Basically, what it entailed was overseeing matches, handing out (card) packs, making card lists and arbitrating disputes,’ Taylor said. ‘Some of the disputes turned into fist fights.

‘I started out volunteering at first; the training was deceptively easy. To become a judge, I had a regional judge show me cards, and I had to know what to do. Our exam was a practical exam.’

Even though his job dealt with a game, it wasn’t always easy for Taylor.

‘It was a very high-stress job,’ Taylor said. ‘I had to make rulings at multiple tables and ensure fair play.’

Daniella Garza, a senior Biology major, found a job as a lab monitor for one of the Computer Science labs.

‘I basically refill the printer, answer questions and sit,’ Garza said. ‘I get paid to study.’

Garza has worked in the lab for nearly a year.

‘I love this job,’ Garza said. ‘I have a good group of friends in here, so that makes it so nice.’