News Student Government

SGA honors senators

Evans

Evans

Kornahrens

Kornahrens

CLASS Sen. Veronika Evans and College of Technology Sen. Katie Kornahrens were elected as November’s senators of the month for their work with the Senate.

Evans and Kornahrens are chair and vice-charge of the SGA Student Life Committee.

“The selections are based from the senators’ monthly reports, then the executive board and I decide on a senator,” Director of Public Relations Andi Zambrano said. “Katie and Veronika had the most successful town halls and exceeded their senator expectations throughout the month.”

Evans said she felt good when she found out she had been given the honor.

“It is always nice to be acknowledged for hard work,” Evans said. “Yeah, the ‘A’s at the end of the semester mean a lot, but it also means a lot that … I changed something for the better for the students at UH.”

Kornahrens said it was an honor to be named senator of the month.

“It feels good,” Kornahrens said. “It is motivating; it really makes it all worth it.”

Evans said the main thing she focused on this semester was the students’ bill of rights for the Fall 2010 Student Handbook.

“It is a list of all the state, national and local rules and regulations — laws that affect students and basically their rights as students,” Evans said.

Evans has also been working on improving the shuttle routes.

Evans said Education Sen. Michael Harding approached her about the idea.

The main problem, Evans said, is that most students don’t know where the bus routes go and the stops they make. The names of the bus routes add to the confusion.

Evans tried to help reduce that confusion by performing a bus audit with certain school administrators, culminating in the creation of a bus sign with all of the bus stops on it.

The sign, Evans said, will show students exactly where the bus will stop, and there will be no more buses stopping in areas that could be unsafe for students and drivers.

Evans and Kornahrens have also been working on a student savings program.

The program would give students discounts for places they normally go to.

Evans said the expected launch date for this will be Feb. 2010.

“The program is about giving back to the students,” Kornahrens said.

Kornahrens said she is most proud of the work she and fellow Technology Sen. David Harden did for the transfer students who were not going to be able to graduate with honors because of the 66-hour requirements.

Kornahrens has also been working on the SGA Web site and making it as interactive as possible.