Commentary

Should Favre retire?

Tristan Tippet: Show me more Favre

Brett Favre should not retire — he is one of the most unique quarterbacks of all time. Favre plays the most dangerous position on the field, and yet, he’s not only the most durable quarterback, he’s the most durable player in football history. Even the most punishing blow can’t knock him out, or even prevent him from being effective. The guy has incredible durability. Something tells me he can go another season.

Even at age 40, Favre is still one of the elite quarterbacks in the game. He still has above-average mobility that allows him to extend plays when the pocket collapses and lets receivers to get open. Favre still has a great feel for the game. He can sense when the pocket breaks and what play to call. He times routes and knows when to take a chance. Oh, he also has a rocket arm. He can still throw the deep ball with velocity.

What does that mean? He elevated the Vikings from a good team to a near-Super Bowl contending team.

I’m not a homer, and I don’t really care what he does. I just know a great quarterback when I see one.

Salomon Fuentes: Favre should listen to his gut

I don’t think you need a quarterback coach to tell you that Favre still has talent, but what it really comes down to is what does Brett Favre want to do? He’s playing a high-stakes game should he return for another season, as he risks putting his 40-plus-year old body through another year of constant beatings. Not only that, but Favre has a family that he could be spending more time with at this point in his life.

That we as fans would want to keep him around because he’s unique or fun to watch is a reasonably selfish sentiment. Favre should listen to whatever his gut instinct is on this, though the sensible thing is to walk away, pure and simple. But that’s not my call nor anyone else’s to make but his own.

If he wants to come back for another year to finish his career on top and Brad Childress and Zigi Wilf will have him, then more power to the guy. But if he waffles again as to whether or not he’s coming back then it becomes less about the team and more about Favre and I don’t think anyone can stomach another summer of that.

Keith Cordero Jr.: Vote Favre for President

OK Tristan, you need to put the brakes on with the analysis of Favre’s game — you are not an NFL quarterbacks coach. Don’t get me wrong, Favre can still play and is a Pro Bowl talent, but despite having a career-low seven interceptions in the regular season, the one intercepted by Saints cornerback Tracy Porter during the closing seconds of the fourth quarter proved costly.

Favre and the Vikings should be headed to Miami for a visit with the Colts, but five turnovers none bigger than the Favre pick gave the Saints life. This was a great season for the Vikings and Favre, and I would like to see him return. Let’s not forget he signed a two-year deal with Minnesota at the start of the season so if he would fulfill his contract the fans should get to see the No. 2 quarterback of all time in my opinion for one more season.

Age should not be an issue for a player with so much talent.

Judge Phillipe: No country for old Favre

You guys all make a convincing argument regarding Favre’s talent. There’s no question the guy still has all the physical tools to compete at the highest levels and has probably forgotten more football than any of us will ever learn in our lifetimes.

That being said, he still lives and dies by his gun-slinger mentality, and that is what ultimately hurt him and his team Sunday. The last two times Favre has played in an NFC championship game, he’s thrown what were essentially game-ending picks. Even the most die-hard Vikings fans would trade in the game-winning throw against the 49ers in the regular season, which was just as ill-advised as Sunday’s interceptions, for a chance to have their own kicker have a shot to beat New Orleans with a field goal.

The bottom line: Old man Favre needs to quit while he’s ahead.

Verdict

Salomon wins, simply because he feels the same way I do about the impending will-he-won’t-he soap opera we are all about to deal with.

Facetime

Has anyone else seen Damned United or is that just me?