Commentary

NBA’s midpoint reveals surprises

As the NBA season reaches its midpoint and the All-Star Game approaches, certain teams and players are starting to separate from the pack. The Cleveland Cavaliers look like the class of the league, while the Los Angeles Lakers look just as strong as they did during last year’s championship run.

With that in mind, what better time than now to hand out some hardware to players, coaches and teams having great seasons?

Most Valuable Player

They call him “King” for a reason: Lebron James and the Cavaliers have already swept the season series against the defending champion Lakers 2-0 and currently hold the best record in the NBA at 34-11 entering play today.

James is having another remarkable season, averaging 29.9 points, 7.20 rebounds, 7.8 assists and 1.5 steals per game.  His closest competition is Denver’s Carmelo Anthony, but this should be a repeat performance for James.

Coach of the Year

It may take readers a minute to realize how worthy Scott Brooks is. Yes indeed, the Oklahoma City Thunder are led by Brooks in his second season and at 24-20, the Thunder are in playoff competition and have already eclipsed last year’s win total.

As the leader of a young team led by star Kevin Durant’s 29.3 points per game, Brooks has the Thunder playing an exciting brand of basketball that has the NBA buzzing. A virtual no-name coach prior to this season, Brooks is leading an athletic bunch that includes nine players 23 years old or younger.

Rookie of the Year

Don’t get upset, Brandon Jennings fans, but Sacramento Kings point guard Tyreke Evans is simply having a better season thus far. Evans is averaging 20.7 points per game along with 4.9 assists for a Kings team just now getting back Kevin Martin.

Jennings does have that 55-point game early in the season, but Evans has led the Kings to a 12-9 home record despite struggling on the road.

Sixth Man of the Year

It seems this award goes to Jason Terry of the Dallas Mavericks every year, but Houston fans may be in for a treat this year. Terry has been starting for Dallas, opening up a spot for forward Carl Landry to win this award.

Besides suffering a gunshot wound and five lost teeth in the past two seasons, Landry is on a tear coming off the bench this season for a playoff-contending Rockets team.

Landry is averaging 16.4 points per game, more than seven points better than he did last season, and is obviously having his best season.

Most Improved Player of the Year

This award could go to Channing Frye or Zach Randolph, but and I’m going to give it to Warriors guard Monta Ellis. A season after playing only 25 games due to injury, Ellis has burst onto the scene averaging 26.1 points per game this season. along with 5.5 assists.

Ellis is playing 42 minutes per game while shooting 46 percent for a below-average Golden State team.