Crime News

Student robbed at gunpoint

For the second time in as many weeks, there has been a reported aggravated robbery on campus.

Sometime after 2 p.m. Thursday near UH Entrance 10, a female student was confronted by the suspect, University police said.

“Near the 4500 block of Cullen near entrance 10 the victim was approached by an black male who asked to use her phone than produced a firearm and fled with her phone,” Assistant Chief of Police Brad Wigtil said.

After stealing the phone, police said the suspect ran east to parking lot 9C and proceeded north towards Wheeler. He then headed east on Wheeler where police lost contact.

The suspect may have gotten into a car or headed south onto Rockwood into the University Oaks neighborhood.

According to the victim’s description, the suspect is a 19-25 year old black male approximately five feet, seven inches, 170 pounds, with dark complexion and acne on his cheeks. The suspect wore white tennis shoes, a black puffy quilted jacket with hood, a white t-shirt and blue jeans, police said.

Thursday’s incident bears similarities to the previous robbery on campus Jan. 26. Both instances were in the same general area, and both occurred during daylight hours.

Police said they will be thoroughly reviewing both instances to see if there are any connections.

“We have some possible leads at this point and we’re diligently following up on them,” Wigtil said.

Anyone with any information about this crime is encouraged to call the UHPD office.