Swimming & Diving

UH gears up for C-USA title run with road trip

The Conference USA Championships are around the corner, and the Cougars continue their preparation for the event with a single meet against Texas A&M at 5 p.m., today at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center Natatorium.

Last weekend the Cougars hosted a two-day event featuring Tulane, Rice and LSU. UH beat Tulane 213-134, but lost to Rice 197-144 and LSU 207-138.

The Cougars’ record fell to 3-8 in dual action as a result, but head coach Mark Taylor was pleased with his team’s effort and said it helps with preparation for the championships.

“I was happy with (the team). After all, we’re getting ready for the conference championships, which are three weeks out,” Taylor said.  “We got a really tough schedule with such great teams like Texas A&M, SMU, LSU. All those schools are top-20 programs.”

Despite the outcome, the Cougars continued the trend of standout individual performances.

Diver Julie Lonnegren’s win in the 3-meter event earned her a C-USA Diver of the Week award.

Reka Kovacs continued her excellence with two more wins. Kovacs won the 400-yard individual medley and the 1,000-yard freestyle with a finish that ranks fifth in UH history.

“I got a good one when I got her,” Taylor said of Kovacs. “We haven’t had one girl from Hungary who’s not turned out great for us.”

Taylor said these performances are encouraging signs for the future.

“When you see some of the girls like Reka, Kim Eeson and Christine Salinas having best times given how hard I’m working them, it’s a great indicator,” Taylor said. 

The Cougars will face Texas A&M, whom they swam against in the Cougar Classic Fall Invitational Nov. 20 to 22. Taylor said the meet would provide an important challenge.

“I’m looking forward to putting some of our girls against them and giving them some experience in racing against the best ones in the country.”