Intramural

UH prepares to rack up for annual pool tournament

The intramural offices at the Campus Recreation Center are holding their annual billiards tournament this week.

The tournament is open to all students regardless of skill level, Assistant Director of Intramural Sports Adam Finney said.

“For the most part, we do have first time pool players that will come out and give it a try, but there are always a few ringers,” Finney said. 

Students interested in playing must have turned in an entry form to the intramural office by Monday. Students who did not submit a form will not be allowed to compete.

The tournament ends March 3 after a two-step process where a champion is named after all the games have been played.

“It’s just two weeks. It’s one week for the pool play, and the second week is a single elimination tournament that takes about two days,” Finney said.

Games will be arranged around the students’ schedules in order to maximize the number of contestants and to assure that no one is disqualified due to a conflict with their classes.

This will be further discussed at the introduction meeting at 5 p.m. Thursday in Wellness Center Room 1038C, where students can sign up for play times. Once a time is decided, games will be played on the ground floor of the UC Games Room.

Billiards might only be found on ESPN2 at 3 in the morning, but at UH the tournament is becoming popular.

“We’ve gradually increased our number of participants. It started out as only 20 participants, and last spring we had about 40 people,” Finney said.

In his position, Finney is trying to bring new and exciting games and competitions to the campus.  Recently added events to the campus recreation calendar include a Wii bowling tournament and an Xbox NCAA Football tournament. 

Finney is trying to bring something even less traditional to the lineup.

“One thing I’m still trying to figure out how to bring to this campus is intramural cricket,” Finney said. ” There is a really high demand for that.”

For information on upcoming tournaments and new leagues being offered at UH, visit www.uhrecreation.com