Activities & Organizations

Group encourages membership

Global is a nonprofit gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender supporter’s student organization at the UH.

“Global is probably the only place where truly anybody would be accepted,” President of Global Phill Stout said. “We welcome one and all.”

While the group does have a political aspect with events including demonstrations, Global is also focused on the social aspects of their organization.

“If a member raises a concern regarding a specific need or desire they have, we do everything we can,” Stout said.  For National Coming Out Week, we held a demonstration that was a nice blend.  We set up large boards with ‘I Am’ and ‘I Support’ written on them and some paint.”

The group encouraged everyone passing by to put a handprint on one or the other at the demonstration.

“It was really exciting to see how many people participated,” Stout said.

The boards are now located in Global’s new office in the University Center Underground.

Although the organization has built a solid foundation and is steadily growing, there are concerns that many students aren’t aware of.

“We’re trying to raise awareness, do more events in broad daylight in areas with lots of traffic,” Stout said.  “What’s the point of being all-inclusive if people don’t know we’re here?”

Global will be hosting their first ever Rainbow Prom on March 6.  The event will be open to all UH students.

“Our Rainbow Prom is kind of giving everyone a second chance.  For some it’s a chance to actually go to their Prom.  For others it’s a chance to go to prom with whoever they want,” Stout said.

Global will also be hosting their third annual Drag Show on April 8. The Drag Show is also open to all UH students and will be held in the Houston Room of the University Center.

“The Drag Show is a lot of fun.  It’s going to be open to anyone who wants to perform wearing the opposite gender’s clothing, and we’ll even have some professional Drag Queens there,” Stout said.

Weekly meetings are held at 6 p.m. on Thursday in the Mediterranean Room of the University Center.