Gamers must use discretion

Whether online with millions of other gamers around the globe or at home among family and friends, video games take people on a journey beyond their wildest imaginations.

However, as is the case with any other type of online media, sometimes the actions of certain players can pose a danger to others as well as themselves.

Minors have been intimidated and even sexually solicited over online gaming networks on countless occasions.

A Feb. 16 article in the National Post, a Canadian newspaper, was about a resident of Port Alberni, British Columbia who received some troubling information while playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

The article reported that “a conversation started with one player who spoke about being a high school senior who was failing academically,” and that “the chat took a more ominous turn as the student detailed plans to take part in a shooting at his school the following day.”

Not only did the troubled gamer make generalized threats, but the article also stated that he talked about some of the students he was targeting.

The gamer on the other side of the conversation, however, did not take the threats lightly. Upon being informed of the conversation, the article said, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police began investigating the matter.

The police notified the Microsoft Corporation of the chat, which had taken place on the XBox LIVE network.

Microsoft then dispatched the information to the police in San Antonio, where the gamer who made the threats resides.

The SAPD ultimately arrested the teen at John Marshall High School, and because the threat involved a school, the suspect has been charged with a felony. As a result, he could spend up to three years in prison.

Law enforcement officials in both Canada and the U.S. acted commendably in following through on what was initially thought to be a legitimate threat to the safety of a group of students.

Although it is undeniable that the gamer who made the threats acted irrationally and improperly, his life should not be subsequently ruined because of a thoughtless action.

Even more troubling is the revelation that because Microsoft records voice chats, anything said online can be relayed to officials and taken out of context.

The student did admit to making the statements, but to charge someone with a felony without definitive proof of a crime is dangerous.

Many people say things they simply do not mean or intend to follow through with, allowing adolescence to get the best of them.

This case only goes to show that discretion is warranted and necessary when participating in anything online.

Patrick Levy is a communication freshman and may be contacted at [email protected]