Music

Granny’s hip beats appear in nightclubs

Ruth Flowers, a 69-year-old British grandmother, has put down her teacup and begun rustling up good beats for the late night party arenas in Paris nightclubs and the Cannes Film Festival.

Flowers, who has become famous for her unique dark glasses, white hair, green bomber jackets and leopard print outfits, decided to master the disco decks after attending a birthday party for her grandson.

“It started really when my grandson had a birthday party … and they always have a little disco, don’t they, after the party,” Flowers said in a CBS News video. “I went along quite late and the gentleman on the door said, ‘I don’t think you want to go in there, madam,’ and I said, ‘I would rather like to think that I do.’

In a Mar. 5 Reuters article, Flowers said she was trained a trained singer who knew mostly about church songs, German liedar and classic pop.

“I had no idea at the time of electro music,” she said in the article.

But it seems the unusual sensationalism of the disc jockey world has swept her off her feet and into the world of late-night electro beats and ecstasy candy.

French producer Aurelian Simon said he took Flowers’ ambition to become a 69-year-old disc jockey as a joke. But after four years of toying with the machines, Flowers has developed her own styles.

“Its a little glammy, a bit over the top,” Flowers said, “I mean, if I appeared in a cardigan, a sweater and brogue shoes it wouldn’t be quite the same.”

Let’s thank the Heavens that Mr. Rodgers didn’t decide to become a disc jockey. Flower’s charming smile and over-the-top turntable dances, which include random punches into the air to the beat of the music, is more than enough for us.

For now, Flowers is working on a single that she hopes to release this spring.

NPH feeling blue

In other wacky news, How I Met Your Mother star Neil Patrick Harris will be smurfing it up in Sony’s upcoming Smurfs: The Movie.

Deadline.com is reporting that the blue people of Smurf land will come to life on screen with a mixture of live action and animation, ripping off the blue world that is Avatar. However, the smurfs were all smurfing in the forest long before James Cameron’s blue-skinned humanoids were praying to the Tree of Souls.

As long as Harris stays away from the smurfberries, audiences might find themselves enamored with his smurfian charm.