Softball

UH takes swing at cancer

When UH hosts the fourth annual Striking Out Breast Cancer Game against Southern at 5 p.m. today, the University’s Cougar Softball Stadium will have undergone some colorful changes.

Pink chalk lines will replace white ones, while pink bases will substitute for the traditional white. UH softball players, meanwhile, will incorporate pink into their uniforms and helmets as a sign of support for the cause of finding a cure.

Silent auction memorabilia, including post-game jerseys and helmets, will be auctioned off. All proceeds, along with ticket sales from the game, will go to the Houston affiliate of the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation.

For some UH players, this is more than just a game. Among them is rightfielder Tiffany Galletti, whose sister-in-law is fighting breast cancer.

“Hopefully, the players can find some purpose in the game and approach it in a way that it’s about something bigger than ourselves,” head coach Kyla Holas said.

The Cougars’ 8-9 record is not what Holas expected from her players so far, but she is hoping that the seven-game home stand, beginning with today’s doubleheader against Southern, will allow UH to gather some wins and boost its confidence.

“Unfortunately, we took a little bit of time off to get a few people who were injured back into the lineup,” Holas said.  “Hopefully, we have enough time in the next three days to make some adjustments, especially to our mentality.”

The Cougars beat Southern twice in the LSU Tiger invitational, held in late February, but Holas remains concerned about the Jaguars.

“I just think Southern is one of those ball clubs that can really do something if you’re not paying attention,” Holas said.  “You have to make sure that you are playing your best ball against them every inning.”

Freshman Bailey Watts, who rested during Tuesday’s 3-1 victory over Monmouth University, will take the mound for UH.

This weekend, the Cougars will begin conference play against Southern Miss. Holas said the Golden Eagles’ returning seniors and conference-leading record will make them difficult to knock off.

“We are just going to have to make sure that we know what it means to play in conference,” Holas said.