Crime

Robbery suspects linked to Craigslist

A visitor at the University was robbed at knifepoint by two suspects in parking lot 6C Thursday around 8:20 p.m.

The suspects and victims have no connection to the University but decided to meet on campus for a transaction involving an iPhone.

Police said the suspect met the victim in parking lot 4A, migrated around the University and ended up in parking lot 6C where the one of the suspects put a knife to the victim‘s throat.

They took his phone, wallet, an undisclosed amount of cash and car keys. They escaped on foot.

“ The UH community wasn’t a target. They didn’t come here to target any UH students, this was just unfortunately the meeting place,” UHPD Assistant Chief Brad Wigtil said.

The victim said he met one of the suspects about a month before through Craigslist and bought an iPhone from him. The suspect contacted the victim to sell him another iPhone.

The first suspect was described as a 20-22 year old black male approximately five feet nine inches tall, with medium build and medium complexion. He was wearing blue jeans and a light blue or green colored shirt. The second suspect was described as a 20-22 year old black male approximately six feet tall and was wearing an unknown colored shirt.

Wigtil said people should be cautious when using Craigslist, as UHPD has seen several incidents involving the site in recent months.

“We have had two or three of these situations so I would encourage people to be very cautious when using Craigslist,” Wigtil said. “If they are going to use it than be very practical about where you’re going to do these transactions. Do it in a more public environment, make sure there’s other people with you.”

Police ask if anyone witnessed anything to contact UHPD immediately at 713-743-3333