Penders to resign after six seasons as men’s basketball coach

UH men’s basketball coach Tom Penders will announce his resignation at a press conference Monday afternoon, a person familiar with the situation said Sunday evening.

The resignation will come on the heels of Penders leading the Cougars (19-16) to their first NCAA Tournament appearance since 1992. UH lost 89-77 to Maryland in a first-round matchup Friday night in Spokane, Wash.

In six seasons at UH, Penders went 121-77 and led the Cougars to five postseason appearances, including two berths in the National Invitation Tournament, two more in the College Basketball Invitational and one in this year’s NCAA Tournament.

Penders’ contract runs through 2012 and pays him $450,000 annually, including incentives. His base salary is $250,000, meaning that UH would have to pay him $500,000 to buy out the remaining two years of the deal.

• I wonder who UH will hire. I’m no fan of TP but one has to give him credit for doing more with less. The athletic department gave him nothing to work with and the guy has won and turned our program around. I sure hope we wont we kicking ourselves in a few years for rushing into things, perhaps the administration should have let him stay one more season with the understanding he’d be gone after the next season after they had ample time to find a coach.

• TP, has done a lot more with less. It is hard to see who they could get to coach and attract better recruits at the price they were paying Penders. I think they already have a person in mind and even making it to the Dance was not enough to change their minds.