Academics & Research

UH inks deal with Irish institute

The Memorandum of Understanding signed by UH President Renu Khator and Dublin Institute of Technology President Brian Norton is expected to bring many new research opportunities for UH and DIT. | Courtesy of Melissa Carroll

UH and Dublin Institute of Technology have signed a five year Memorandum of Understanding, which outlines the collaboration of research and educational programs between the two institutions. These programs will encompass a variety of fields, but will primarily focus on energy.

“We are committed to providing our students with a nationally competitive global education in which they’ll get to know and interact with students from around the world,” UH President Renu Khator said in a press release. “Collaboration with respected technology institutes like the Dublin Institute of Technology enhances the global perspective of our students and strengthens the comprehensive education offered at UH.”

The memorandum went into effect immediately after Khator and DIT President Brian Norton signed it.

“The planning will begin immediately. At best, the fall semester 2010 will be the first opportunity for the implementation,” Assistant Vice President of International Studies and Programs Chief Global Officer Jerald Strickland said.

The MOU sets out both objectives and agreements that are to be achieved between the two institutions. A priority of this collaboration is to contribute and enhance the knowledge and understanding between not only the two institutions, but between the countries as well as the cities.  This joint venture will use instructional programs, research and faculty and student development to achieve these goals.

The collaboration between the two institutions will bring forth new exploratory opportunities for students to gain a more diverse, in-depth knowledge in their field of study.

“This relationship will provide opportunities for UH and DIT students to study and do research together,” Strickland said.

UH and DIT have identified and agreed to a variety of topics that identify and unite their pursuits and their common interests.

These topics include exploring a full credit transfer system, the appointment of staff as adjunct and research members within both institutions, the establishment of satellite centers, institutes and campuses and to explore joint funding opportunities from external bodies.

The MOU could bring the University one step closer to achieving flagship status.

“Academic arrangements, partnerships, faculty and student exchanges, research projects, etc. with world-class universities and institutes are important in the pathway to Tier One, and to increase the breadth, depth and quality of all programs at UH,” Strickland said.

DIT is ranked as one of the leading institutions of technology in Ireland and has been representing this standard for 200 years.