Dickey adds two assistants to men’s basketball staff

UH men’s basketball coach James Dickey made a pair of additions to his staff over the weekend, hiring Iowa State assistant coach Daniyal Robinson and Stephen F. Austin assistant Ulric Maligi.

Both will assist in all coaching aspects, according to a press release from the UH Athletic Department.

Robinson has also been an assistant coach at Illinois State and Arkansas-Little Rock and joins the Cougars after serving an instrumental role in recruiting at Iowa State. Last season, Robinson helped the Cyclones land Chris Colvin, who was rated a top-100 prospect by several national recruiting services.

“Daniyal has worked for outstanding coaches, and I look forward to the different philosophies he will bring to our program,” Dickey said in a release. “He possesses all the qualities you look for in an assistant coach: loyalty, integrity, character and work ethic.”

Prior to his three seasons with SFA, Maligi served as an assistant coach at UT-Arlington during the 2006-07 season.

“Ulric is a bright young coach and recruiter with tremendous enthusiasm for the game. He has developed very strong relationships in Houston, Dallas, the state of Texas and across the country,” Dickey said. “Ulric has great personal and professional qualities, and his ability to relate to players will be a terrific asset to our program.”

Golf finishes 10th at Ohio State

The Cougars turned in their best team performance of this weekend’s Robert Kepler Intercollegiate on Sunday in Columbus, posting a score of 298. UH finished the two-day tournament with a 54-hole score of 904, which landed it in 10th place.

Junior Clark Mitzner led the Cougars with an 11-over 224, tying for 33rd.

Eastern Michigan took home the team title with a score of 861, while Penn State’s Kevin Foley earned individual honors by shooting an eight-under 205 for the weekend.

UH will return to action at the Conference USA Championships on April 25-27 in Orlando, Fla.

Tennis falls to Louisiana-Monroe

After waiting out a brief rain delay Saturday morning, the UH tennis team fell behind early and never fully recovered in a 4-2 loss to Louisiana Monroe.

The defeat ends the Cougars’ two-game win streak and drops them to 10-7 this season.

Bryony Hunter and Laura Ring opened the match with losses before Joanna Kacprzyk recorded the Cougars’ first win.

Neila Starratt recorded UH’s only other point with a 7-6, 6-3 win over the Warhawks’ Sidney Bruscato.

The Cougars’ next match is against McNeese State on Wednesday in Lake Charles, La.