Music

Jazzing it up

Music graduate student Henry Darragh is a talented musician who released his first album, “Tell Her For Me,” last October. | Courtesy of Starlight Beats and Breaks Artists

Song fills the Moores School of Music as the jazz ensemble rehearses to make each note spectacular.  Leading the group is Henry Darragh, a talented pianist, trombonist, composer and singer.

Darragh started his music career when he was six years old by taking piano lessons in Pasadena, where he was born and raised.  Unfortunately, he wasn’t very fond of his piano teacher and quit shortly after he started.  It wasn’t until junior high that he joined the band and began playing the trombone.

“I learned how to play the trombone, but still wanted to learn the piano”, Darragh said, “I took my mom’s piano books and taught myself how to play, badly”.

Darragh’s mother has always been an influence in his life and career.

“My mom is a huge influence on me.  We always had a piano at home and she was always writing songs.  Her style is a little different than mine; she writes church music and has five CD’s out” said Darragh.

His passion and love for music remained a constant in his life while he was attending San Jacinto College for his undergraduate studies.  Although his undergraduate years were not the easiest, Darragh remained focused on his music.

“I was at San Jacinto for six years”, said Darragh, “I was a mess when I went there and hit a lot of bottoms where I should have stopped, but I stayed focused and am now getting my masters in a couple of weeks”.

Darragh has had the opportunity to work with talented musicians such as TJ Funk, The Steve Lippia Big Band and even flew to New York City to take lessons with Grammy winner Kurt Elling.

“Taking lessons from Kurt was surreal.  He hadn’t taught anyone in ten years”, said Darragh.  “It was expensive but defiantly worth it”.

Aside from going to school and teaching, Darragh has also released his debut CD entitled, Tell Her for Me.  Although he has played back up for other artists, this is his first CD as a leader.  The CD consists of six original songs, and five covers, with Darragh singing and playing piano on each, and also contributing on trombone

“We started recording in December 2008, and it was released in October 2009.  It’s been doing well, and I’ve been getting really good feedback.  I’ve gotten very good reviews from the national jazz media,” Darragh said.

As if he wasn’t busy enough, Darragh also plays locally around Houston.

“I teach piano, but most of my income comes from playing”, said Darragh. “I play random places. For example I play on a brunch cruise in Kemah. I play the piano and sing while we sail around for a few hours”.

Darragh also plays for Miller Outdoor Theater, the Wrotham House and other lounges throughout the Houston area.  His favorite events to play however are weddings.

“I love playing at weddings.  It is my kind of music. The overall theme of a wedding fits my music perfectly,” Darragh said.

Aside from being influenced by his mother, he also looks up a great deal to artists like Miles Davis and Sarah Vaughan.  Darragh believes these “usual suspects” in the game of jazz have helped shape him into the musician he is today.