Student Government

Student senators tackle busy agendas

The Student Government Association at-large senators have set their agendas and said they are ready to begin working for the UH students, whether by ensuring working equipment at study areas or achieving student empowerment.

Sen. Julian Jimenez, who is serving his second term with the organization, said it is important to focus first on ensuring that certain basic student utilities are in working order.

“I’m holding a committee meeting next Tuesday with my finance and administration members to see what their ideas are,” Jimenez said. “But personally, I’m going to start off small. I want working pencil sharpeners in all of the rooms. Since pencil sharpeners don’t cost that much money, I think I could get that done. That’s just a basic thing that classrooms could use. The way I see it, baby steps first.”

Sen. Karli Williams said her primary concern is to promote campus awareness and create a more economically friendly environment for students. She also said she wants to improve the transportation system at UH.

“I live on campus, so I think that having the busses on the weekends would be a great benefit for people who live on campus,” Williams said. “Since we are trying to become tier one, more people are going to start coming here and living on campus. I think that we will need transportation on the weekends also.”

Sen. Andrea Gomez said she has partnered with student-run organizations to develop an understanding of students’ wants.

“I’ve never done anything this size,” she said. “I’ve joined the Student Life Committee, so I’ll probably be putting most of my focus into that committee because students are the priority. (My agenda) is not what I want to do, it’s what students want to do.”