Movies

‘Funeral’ brings lots of laughter for viewers

The remake of Death at a Funeral, starring Chris Rock and Martin Lawrence, brings more laughs than the original movie. | Screen Gems

Death at a Funeral, the renewed version of the 2007 British film by Frank Oz, is one of the fastest remakes in the Hollywood history of American films. 

A family attempts to gather for the funeral of its patriarch. But it is instantaneously interrupted with a series of unfortunate happenings from start to finish.

Despite its plot closely resembling the original, it’s packed with far more laughter. The modern, urban-humorous twist added character to the film and was executed well by the talented cast. 

The film instantly lends itself as a comedy from the opening scene, unlike the original. It’s an adult humor filled must-see. 

The cast did an excellent job of meshing its comedic styling together for a continuously chaotic family encounter. Aaron (Chris Rock) and Bryan (Martin Lawrence) attempt to join forces against their usually distant relationship to mourn the loss of their father. 

Upon the reunion of this dysfunctional bunch, they’re blindsided with an ongoing series of calamitous events.  Aaron’s responsible ways land him in the center of organizing the untimely death of his father. Ryan, the more successful brother, is emotionally and financially disconnected from the situation. He’s seen as the carefree son who lives a bachelor lifestyle that everyone adores.

Aaron and his wife Michelle (Regina Hall) — who are trying to conceive — exhaust themselves to guide the clan to a peaceful ceremony.  

A peculiar man, Frank (Peter Dinklage), appears during the visitation, seeming to be carrying a burdening message. The climax of the film takes off upon his arrival, and the mayhem is amplified by his presence. 

Norman (Tracey Morgan), a friend of the family, creates disaster and laughter with his ungraceful presence. He adds to the unfortunate circumstances with his careless actions and horrible ideas.

Their cousin Elaine (Zoe Saldana) and her boyfriend Oscar (James Marsden) contribute to the family tension when she mistakenly drugs him before the ceremony. Throughout the film, he continues to embarrass Elaine in the presence of her strict father, Dr. Duncan (Ron Glass). Derek (Luke Wilson), an ego-driven ex to Elaine, is the most favorable suitor to Duncan for his daughter.

Jeff (Columbus Short), Elaine’s brother, feels partially responsible for Oscar’s condition and helps guide him through his high. 

Uncle Russell (Danny Glover) plays an invalid geriatric family member who ventures from his retirement community to attend the funeral with Norman’s help.

Cynthia (Loretta Devine) is the naive mother who remains oblivious to all the controversy. 

The silver-screen heavy weights of black comedy left the audience crying for more.

The rest of the film is characterized by blackmail, scandal and resentment in pursuits to clear up the luckless events of the day.

The scenery of the film remains stationary and becomes a bit redundant. And several of the occurrences are far too elaborate to be conceivable. But the light humor surrounding a dark scenario and the desperate attempts to hide the family skeletons leaves it full of ironic laughs.