Softball

Cougars finally break through on road

The Cougars notched their first road win of the season, but it didn’t come easy as they had to battle Texas State for nine innings before coming away with a 3-0 win Tuesday. | Daily Cougar file photo

Freshman pitcher Bailey Watts delivered a nine-inning shutout to propel the Cougars to a 3-0 win over Texas State on Wednesday evening. It was UH’s first road win of the season.

The game at Bobcat Field was scoreless going into extra innings before the Cougars (24-21) finally broke through in the ninth. Holly Anderson singled in Angela Spittler for the Cougars’ first tally and Ashleigh Jones followed with a two-run single that extended the lead to 3-0.  Jones was 3-for-5 on the night and was the key hitter for the Cougars.  Holly Anderson and Brooke Lathan stepped up as well, going 2-for-4 each on the night.

The Cougars are now 15-2 when opponents score less than three runs, while Texas State fell to 0-14 when scoring less than two runs and 21-19 overall.

Watts (11-8) entered into the ninth frame with nine strikeouts and had allowed just five hits.  With two outs and a runner on second base, Watts closed out the inning with a fielder’s choice.  The loss extends a four-game skid for the Bobcats.

Entering Wednesday’s contest, the Cougars 0-13 on the road.  Opportunities in the first and second innings were missed as runners were left stranded, but it was Watts’ tremendous performance that kept the Bobcats at bay as they left 11 batters on base.

The Cougars will return to action this weekend, when they host East Carolina for a three-game set.