Student Government

Policymaking, college integration top priorities for student senators

Graduate College of Social Work Sen. Josephine Tittsworth and Sen. Adam Cook of the Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture have set their Student Government Association agendas and are ready to get to work to represent their respective colleges.

Tittsworth was elected to her fourth term as the Social Work senator.

She has been very active in campus policy-making positions, having also served two terms as the GCSW Student Association Senator.

Tittsworth said she has enjoyed working on policy during her time in SGA, which was one of the reasons she wanted to run again.

“I would like to plug gaps between the SGA constitution and the SGA bylaws and also make changes to the SGA election code,” Tittsworth said.

Tittsworth, founder of the Texas Transgender Nondiscrimination Summit, has devoted much of her time and effort to attaining transgender equality not only on campus but in society as well.

TTNS coordinates efforts with Texas colleges and universities to change policies to protect transgender faculty, staff and students.

The SGA in February officially praised the University’s Jan. 8 release of the “Izzy Lopez” Memo, which seeks to protect the rights of transgender students at UH, a move that Tittsworth considers a great advancement from when she began as a student at UH.

Cook said he ran because he wanted to see his college become a greater part of the University.

“The College of Architecture is regarded by many as an isolated College on campus. I want to make sure that we are more involved with the University,” Cook said.

“The University is in a time of transition and expansion as we aim for (flagship) status. I’d like to see the College of Architecture more involved in that process; there are some really knowledgeable and talented designers in our College that the University should be utilizing.”

Cook, a senior, is attaining a degree in Architecture, a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Design and also a Bachelor of Business Administration in Entrepreneurship, a triple major.

Cook is no stranger to the workings of student associations, having also served on the College of Architecture’s Student Council for the last three years, a position he said is one that acts as a liaison for the College between students and administration.