Friday, April 20, 2018

Academics & Research

HHP Dept. joining CLASS

The Department of Health and Human Performance will move from the College of Education to the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences in the beginning of fall 2010.

“What HHP is doing, has evolved over the last few years into areas of research and training that are closer to Psychology and Communications Science and Disorders,” Provost John Antel said.

The decision for the move was for more than one reason.

“I was initially somewhat surprised, but upon learning more about the programs in the department, I could see various reasons for the fit with CLASS,” CLASS Interim Dean Cynthia Freeland said.

Freeland said they would arrange all the details for the transition in the summer.

The COE and CLASS both associate with research concerning health, which is a contributing factor to the transition.

“Some of the HHP faculty do research on health issues in relation to quality of life and social factors … they will find common interests with some of our faculty,” Freeland said. “Faculty in kinesiology already have a relationship with the Houston Ballet to study movement issues for professional dancers, and they will have a good fit with members of our faculty in the School of Theatre and Dance.”

With the move, the HHP may undergo some minor changes.

“Whether (CLASS) will have a unit with the same name depends on other decisions,” College of Education Dean Robert Wimpelberg said. “Dissolving HHP in the COE does not mean that all of the degree/certificate programs and their faculty currently associated with the COE Department will necessarily move to CLASS.”

Course requirements for the HHP will correlate with existing degree plans.

“Students in CLASS are required to take a combination of courses in disciplines outside their major, but most undergraduates in HHP already do this because of how their requirements are structured,” Freeland said.

Wimpelberg said that Antel and himself would make the final determination about which programs and faculty will move to CLASS.

“We are studying the nature of the program,” Wimpelberg said. “(This includes) how the students in them can best be supported and how they fit with the nature of programs already residing in each college.”

How do you feel about Jeremih's cancelled concert at Frontier Fiesta?