Crime

Armed carjacking, robbery reported

University police said they are following up on active leads in an apparent armed robbery that occurred on the complex of the Cambridge Oaks apartments early Saturday afternoon

An 18 to 22-year-old man approached two guests of a Cambridge Oaks tenant after they parked on the complex, according to a security alert sent out by campus police.

The man, who “made confrontational statements” before brandishing a small handgun, demanded wallets, cell phones and also the vehicle’s keys before driving off in the vehicle.

UH police recovered the vehicle about three hours later after two people, who were in the car at the time, fled.

“Officers ran the vehicle through the system and got a hit that showed it had been stolen,” assistant chief of police Brad Wigtil said. “Unfortunately, the suspects were able to flee the scene.”

Wigtil was only able to comment on the recovery of the vehicle due to the status of the case.

“Because it is an active investigation, I cannot comment on the current leads,” Wigtil said. “It could hinder or jeopardize our investigation.”

Officers are currently under “directed patrol” in the Cambridge Oaks area in an effort to curtail any criminal activity from occurring.

“(We are) telling officers to focus on that area to provide more visibility there,” Wigtil said.

• Don’t you think you should publish a description of the suspects? That would be useful information. Height, age, race, hair style, etc?

• What’s odd is I didn’t receive a security alert at all to my email inbox regarding this. It’s now the 30th and this article was published a full seven days ago.

I wonder why Wigtil coudn’t comment on current leads…it’s not as if they haven’t published suspect characteristics before. -_-