Men's Basketball

Coleman Vegas bound

With Aubrey Coleman changing his position from shooting guard to point guard, he will be one of the primary ball handlers for the New Orleans Hornets summer league team in Las Vegas. | Daily Cougar file photo

Aubrey Coleman was the nation’s leading scorer averaging 25.6 points per game, and was a key factor in the Cougars’ first NCAA Tournament appearance since 1993.

He said he looks back at his time at UH with pride as he begins the next chapter of his basketball career.

“It was a great success. I never thought it would end with us going to the tournament. I feel that I did good,” Coleman said.

Coleman was not selected in the NBA draft on June 24, but received an invitation to play for the New Orleans Hornets summer league team in Las Vegas. Coleman said Hornets general manager Jeff Bower wants Coleman to convert from a shooting guard to a point guard to make the roster. To prepare himself, Coleman has been studying the offensive sets of the Hornets

“They want to see me turn down scoring and run a team. Getting the plays down, and knowing what to do at the point. Just paying attention to detail when I get to camp and the practices, playing D and doing what I do,“ Coleman said.

Coleman has enlisted former Houston Rocket point guard Moochie Norris to help with the position change. While Coleman excelled as a shooting guard, he said he has no doubts about his ability to be an ambidextrous ball-handler and shooter.

“He’s a point guard and I knew once I made it I was going to have to play the point and have to know what to do. Left and right, that’s what I’ve been working on with Moochie Norris. Floaters with my left and layups with my left, now I can do it,” Coleman said.

Coleman received invites from the San Antonio Spurs, Sacramento Kings and Indiana Pacers, but he felt the Hornets offered the best opportunity.

“The Hornets were going to draft me in the second (round). They were trying to buy a pick, but it didn’t go down like that. Soon as it was over they called and said ‘we think Aubrey would love to be a Hornet, and is in a great situation to make our team.’ If I knew I didn’t have a way to make the Hornets I wouldn’t waste my time,” Coleman said.

He could potentially play on the same team with Chris Paul, who is often regarded as the best point guard in the business. Coleman said he wants to emulate what Paul does.

“I’m going to learn a lot from him. When I get to veteran camp, I’m going to watch him and whatever he does I’m doing it,” Coleman said.

But Coleman’s ability to score has made him the prospect that he is, which is why he compares his game to another superstar.

“Dwayne Wade. I can get to the rack whenever,” he said.

Coleman’s first summer league game was Friday and will finish

July 17.

• Does he play D? Sounds like a great back-up for Thornton. Bower probably wants to see his B-ball IQ. The Hornets have two good points now, but only one 2 on the roster.

• guy plays great Defense. Personally know him as well. really had worker and put's god first. Great for the league man