Keenum gets award consideration

Quarterback Case Keenum has garnered more preseason recognition. Apart from being a Heisman Trophy candidate, Keenum was named to the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award watch list, along with 21 other of the nation’s top signal callers. Only seniors are eligible for the award.

He was also one of 30 players named to the watch list for the Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award. The O’Brien award is given to the best quarterback in college football, regardless of classification.

Last season Keenum was a finalist with former Florida quarterback Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy of Texas. McCoy won the award in 2009.

Cougars get pro experience; team adds recruit

Aubrey Coleman had a successful campaign for the New Orleans Hornets’ summer league team. In five games, Coleman averaged 11.4 points and 3 rebounds. In his best game Coleman scored 19 points, collected five rebounds and three steals.

Kelvin Lewis only played one game for the Houston Rockets summer league team in garbage time, but was productive. In 12 minutes Lewis logged 8 points and was two for three from 3-point land.

Trumaine Johnson is the latest addition to the men’s basketball team. Johnson last played at the University of San Diego, where he averaged 11.6 points. In 2008 Johnson helped guide USD to the NCAA Tournament.

“He’s an explosive guard who can score and play hard-nosed defense. Trumaine is a veteran who helped lead his team to the NCAA Tournament. His experience certainly will be valuable to our program,” head basketball coach James Dickey said in a release.

Tough schedule ahead for women’s basketball

In hopes of reaching the women’s NCAA tournament the Cougars have scheduled a challenging set of non-conference games. The schedule includes six teams who reached the tournament last season, including Marist University, Texas Christian University, University of Nebraska, Tulane and Lamar University.