Monday, June 18, 2018

Alumni

Alumni take part in new voting campaign

A UH alumna is utilizing campus support to attract new voters for the upcoming election.

Liana Lopez, the lead campus organizer for ReEnergize the Vote Campaign, is helping to secure their goal of 32,000 new voters from students across the U.S.

Lopez is confident that UH will produce the largest numbers of new student voters.  

“The campaign kicks off (with) UH, Houston Community College System, Rice University and Texas Southern University over these next few weeks,” Lopez said. “Two of the three Houston campaign organizers are UH alumni and they brag that Cougars will come in with the highest numbers of all the colleges.”

As an organizer, Lopez realizes and is aiming to make the most of the flooding numbers of new eligible voters.

“In 2008, young people turned out to vote in record numbers. More than 22 million 18-to-29 year olds cast ballots on Election Day 2008, proving to be a significant political force in our country,” Lopez said. “At 44 million strong, our generation represents one-fifth of the electorate both nationally and in Texas.  We are poised to become the largest and most influential bloc in the country.”

They have set their sight on working with UH, but first they will need to gain permission from school officials. They have a meeting with the dean of students this week on campus.

“ReEnergize The Vote offers direct experience in the democratic process through internships, community service and volunteer opportunities to perform campaign duties that look good on resumes,” Lopez said.

These initiatives will help the numbers, which they are counting on in order to produce more registered student voters than their counterparts at the University of Texas.

“When we mentioned to our coalition partners both here and at UT that we were specifically targeting their campuses, some friendly rivalry and talks of a competition grew from the conversation,” Lopez said. “As far as internally, let’s just say there may be some mild banter and wagers between the Houston and Austin natives.”

How do you feel about Jeremih's cancelled concert at Frontier Fiesta?