Soccer

Tie, loss end soccer team’s undefeated run

The Cougars experienced their first winless weekend of the season after losing 1-0 to the Baylor Bears on Sunday and tying TCU 2-2 after two overtimes Friday.

In a physical match against the Bears, the Cougars never seemed to find a rhythm, and suffered their first loss of the season. Freshmen Nicole Duarte and Jasmine Martinez attempted all six of the Cougar’s shots, but none were able to find their way into the back of the net.

“It was a really physical game and to be honest, they just outplayed us,” head coach Susan Bush said in a release. “We weren’t able to get into a rhythm and Baylor did a good job taking us out of comfort level and style of play.”

Against TCU, UH twice found themselves behind and both times matched them with goals by sophomore Courtney Peacock and freshman Nicole Duarte. Both goals were assisted by freshman Sami Sackos.

Head coach Susan Bush said that despite only coming away with a tie, she was proud of the way that the Cougars fought, and how they handled playing in front of a large crowd – the ninth largest in TCU soccer history.

“It was a real back and forth battle,” Bush said. “We have to do some things better like defending set pieces but I’m proud of the way our girls rallied in the game and hung in there for 120 minutes. There were a lot of positives to draw from this like playing in front of a big crowd on the road. We handled that very well which shows you the maturity level of our team is high.”

Cheryl Martin’s goal for the Frogs at the 14-minute mark was the first goal scored on the Cougars this season, ending a run that lasted 284 minutes.

The loss leaves the Cougar’s record at 3-1-1 with a home stand coming up this weekend. The Cougars will take on Stephen F. Austin at 5 p.m. Friday at the Carl Lewis Complex and will face the Texas Southern Tigers at Robertson Stadium 1 p.m. on Sunday.