Green UH Commuter Fair takes place for 4th year

The fourth annual Green UH Commuter Fair took place last week, offering students both “green” alternatives to commuting and instruction on ways to increase sustainability on campus.

Discounted METRO Q cards and information on the Cougar Line Ride and Connect by Hertz program were offered to demonstrate the University’s commitment to its sustainability policy.

“The commuter fair was started to provide a venue for students to be informed on commuting options,” Maria Honey, marketing manager for university services, said.

Students are looking for ways to simplify their commute as much as possible, Honey said.

At the fair, full-time students were able to sign up for Metro Q cards, which save students 50 percent on METRO bus and light rail fares. Around 400 students registered with the program this year.

Besides the environmental benefits, officials hope the information provided would also help relieve some of the congestion affecting UH parking lots.

“It is unfortunate because there are students who pay nearly $100 for parking passes,” political science junior Maritsa Rivadeneyra said. “And they can’t find any parking.”

Emily Messa, assistant vice president for university services, offered one-on-one green commuter counseling.

Messa starts off by identifying individual commuting needs through a series of questions, including what time and which day a student commutes. With this information, she is then able to give students a “green” alternative.

“Anything is a big help to save our environment, so the fact that UH contributes to that makes me proud to be a student here,” Rivadeneyra said.

To further promote sustainability on campus, students who attended the fair were asked to sign a pledge that encourages “green” commuting such as bike riding, walking or using mass transit. Students were also asked to blog about their “green” experiences on the Green Commuter bulletin board.

The bulletin board is also used to help UH students, staff and faculty members locate a METRO buddy for those not familiar or uncomfortable with using mass transit.

UH “green” commuters should not only reduce their carbon footprint, but also save money in the process.

Mass-transit commuters will save money on reduced gas usage, reduced wear and tear on vehicles and by not having to purchase a UH parking permit.

Students were also introduced to the Connect by Hertz car-sharing program, which has been available at many other universities but is just now being introduced to UH.

“It provides the convenience of having a car without owning one,” Honey said.

Students, faculty and staff that sign up for the Connect by Hertz program before Dec. 31 will have both their $50 membership fee and background check fee waived.

The first 100 students who sign up for the program will have a $35 credit added to their Connect by Hertz account. There are currently four vehicles available for UH students.

“It’s a mini rental program”, Honey said.

For more information about green commuting, contact the Office of Parking and Transportation or visit www.uh.edu/parking.

• Yet immediately after the Green UH Commuter Fair the University proceeded to block off the largest motorcycle parking lot on campus. Promoting fuel efficient commuting, and then blocking off the largest place operators of fuel efficient vehicles can park is a bit counter productive.