Student Government

SGA welcomes new senators

Student Government Association President Prince Wilson stood in front of the panel and committee at their first meeting Wednesday. | Jairo Razo/The Daily Cougar

The Student Government Association met for the first time this semester Wednesday at The Den to discuss the appointment of five Senate seats.

The SGA voted unanimously to confirm all the new seats starting with the appointment of political science student Amanda Sigurdson to CLASS Seat 1. Sigurdson currently holds another position with Frontier Fiesta and is said she is ready to take on student politics.

“I know a lot of people are like, ‘Oh, poli-sci, just a resume builder,’ but that’s not me at all,” Sigurdson said. “When I was a sophomore, I had an internship with a U.S. Congressman and I got really involved in town halls and helping out.”

Arsalan Razakazi was also confirmed to CLASS Seat 4. His goals include specifically dealing with CLASS students’ problems; as he said it, “one little thing at a time.”

Razakazi said he hopes to bring a new perspective to tackling the problems within the college and the University at large.

Brandon Williams was confirmed to Engineering Seat 1. Williams said he feels very close to his fellow engineering students. He is a mentor within the school and is in touch with students in every stage of their engineering education — those just starting out, as well as upperclassmen and graduate students.

Christopher Greenfield, a graduate student in the physics department, was appointed to Graduate-at-Large Seat 1. Greenfield was vice president of the UH-Clearlake Student Government last year and was president for eight weeks before transferring to the main campus.

Greenfield is looking forward to greeting his constituents’ problems with a blank slate and solving those problems as they come up.

The SGA also granted Taylor Kilroy the Law Seat in the Student Senate. Kilroy is a veteran of the Senate, having served last year as a senator when he was a senior. Now Kilroy is a student in the Law Center and is looking forward to representing UH’s future lawyers.

Kilroy explained the senator’s two main duties by dividing it into categories — the university and his constituents.

The agenda also involved the members desire to create a SGA based student scholarship, but the SGA senators said they have yet to receive adequate funding to proceed.

The SGA members didn’t just welcome new seats, they said their farewells as well. Student Life chair Michael Harding resigned his post, citing a heavy workload that didn’t allow him to put the effort he wanted to into the position. 

The SGA is expected to fill the position at their next meeting on Sept. 29.