Activities & Organizations

Mayor attends Bauer College of Business event

Mayor Annise Parker attended the Bauer College of Business monthly alumni breakfast to touch on her experiences in the professional world. | Courtesy of Chase Pedigo

The Bauer College Of Business Alumni Association hosted their monthly networking breakfast at the Houston City Club, this time with a special guest — mayor Annise Parker.

Alumni greeted guests at the entrance at the Sept. 16 event. As Alumnus Cory Baum said, the event is mostly for networking.

“Bauer grads like to do business with each other,” he said.

These monthly networking breakfasts are “all about that expanding learning experience,” said Robert A. Casey, Jr., associate dean of the C.T Bauer College of Business.

Many anxiously waited for Parker, who was on the top of the line up of guest speakers for the event.

“(Parker is) one of the brightest minds in Houston,” said chair of the Board of Regents Carroll Ray.

Ray introduced Parker and emphasized what an important figure she was to Houston.

Once Parker took the podium, she expressed how she loves the way Bauer reaches out to students.

“If we can bring more business to the city of Houston, I should be there,” Parker said.

Parker advised everyone in the room to bring passion to their jobs.

“Don’t settle in,” she said. “People can get opportunities and give opportunities.”

Parker was given a plaque at the end of the event from the alumni to show their appreciation.

The event was meant to benefit any graduates and even enrolled business students as they attempt to make their way up the corporate ladder.

“UH puts out the graduates that run the city of Houston,” Parker said.