Keenum done for season after suffering ACL injury

The Case Keenum era at UH has come to an abrupt end after the quarterback tore his ACL while attempting to make a tackle after throwing an interception. Backup quarterback Cotton Turner also suffered a season-ending shoulder injury, fracturing his clavicle.

Keenum will finish as the school leader in passing yards, touchdowns, attempts and the fifth most passing yards in NCAA history.

“It’s a blow to our team,” head coach Kevin Sumlin said. “I’m really disappointed for them personally, particularly for Case. It’s one of those things where you don’t want it to happen to anybody. It’s an unfortunate situation.

“We’ve been through adversity of all kind. I don’t know if we’ve been through this type yet.”

With Keenum and Turner out of the equation, it will lead to a quarterback competition between true freshmen Terrance Broadway and David Piland along with junior Austin Elrod. Broadway redshirt’s has been used, and Piland’s will likely be taken off. Elrod and Broadway came in after Turner’s departure. Broadway completed five of eight passes for 84 yards and a touchdown.

“We’re going to name a starter at the beginning of the week. We’re going to also get David Piland involved. He was not on the trip, but we’re going to get him involved and practicing.”

Despite losing the starting and backup quarterback, Sumlin said the team’s goals remain the same.

“We’ve got a long season ahead of us; all of our goals are still out in front of us,” Sumlin said. “Every year, our goals start with our conference. Right now we’re 1-0 in our conference, and we play a conference game this week. We’ve got to turn our attention now to still reaching our goals.”