Soccer

Soccer squad beats UTSA, prepares to open C-USA play

The Cougars improved to 5-2-1 with a 3-1 victory over Texas-San Antonio on Sun

Midfielder Kylie Cook (2) and her teammates want to reach the seven-win mark by next week. | Aaron Cisneros/The Daily Cougar

day before beginning conference play this weekend.

“We played very good soccer today,” head coach Susan Bush said in a release. “We played very good soccer and were very successful in executing movement off the ball.”

The Cougars and Roadrunners both went scoreless for most of the first half. Until freshman Maria Jose Rojas knocked the ball past goalkeeper Cami Koski on a breakaway to give the Roadrunners a 1-0 lead at the 43rd minute.

The Cougars came out strong in the second half, but received some help from UTSA. In the 51st minute, the Roadrunners erred on an own goal to tie the game 1-1.

The second goal to put the Cougars ahead was scored by senior Lauri Byrne on a header off of a corner kick in the 56th minute, giving the Cougars a 2-1 advantage. It was her third goal in the last two games and gives her the team lead with four on the season.

Junior Jessica Zavalza padded the Cougars lead with her first goal of the season to bring the score to 3-1. The offense attacked often, firing 14 total shots and nine on goal.

The Cougars’ defense was able to hold the Roadrunners, an aggressive offensive team, to eight total shots, only two of which were on goal.

Next up for the Cougars is a bout with SMU (5-2-2) at 7 p.m. Friday at Robertson Stadium. SMU tied St. Mary’s on Sunday afternoon 1-1. SMU’s Logan May scored the only goal for the Mustangs. Goalkeeper Courtney Webb made four saves that kept the game knotted till the end. Head coach Brent Erwin is in his fourth season coaching the Mustangs.

The Cougars are scheduled to face off against Tulsa (5-3) at 1 p.m. Sunday at Robertson Stadium. Tulsa is returning from a 12-day break to play conference opponent Rice on Friday. In its last match, Tulsa lost 1-0 to Central Arkansas on Sept. 12.

Prior to Sunday’s match, the Cougar Soccer Moms will be tailgating with free food and refreshments for fans.