Monday, June 25, 2018

Staff Editorial

Don’t ask a Republican to repeal ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’

Senate Republicans shot down a repeal to the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy Tuesday and voted unanimously against lifting the ban on those who are openly gay from serving in the military. The vote was a slap in the face to gay rights groups who viewed the legislation as a hopeful major step in advancing their cause. Many are expecting Democrats to lose seats in the next congressional election, and that in turn could cause the push to abolish DADT to become an even more difficult task.

DADT has been around for 17 years, and apparently things have not changed — and don’t seem to be changing any time soon. And while the Daily Cougar staff is comprised of members who associate themselves as both Democrat and Republican (among Libertarians, neutrals and those of us who just flat out don’t give a flying flip about politics), it’s safe to say that most of the staff thinks ill of DADT.

Look, part of what makes America strong is its defense, and most of the world recognizes the strength of the American military. It is because of this that our soldiers feel proud for serving and are revered as heroes by the rest of us.

Nonetheless, the military is always recruiting, and every individual who desires to serve the country should be granted the right, regardless of sexual orientation.

The concept that sexual orientation is even of importance in the military is absurd. What’s the argument, a gay guy wouldn’t be able to properly operate his gun?

In short, it shouldn’t matter — and “don’t ask, don’t tell” needs to be replaced with “don’t ask because it’s none of your business anyway.”

As for the irrational homophobes who argue that their openly gay colleagues in the military might just violate them in inappropriate ways, it’s suggested that they review the data in sexual harassment for women in the military. Yeah, bad soldiers who break the rules get discharged all the same, gay or straight.

Wake up, DADT advocates. We’ll give you a second to get your head on straight and pick up a rational thought or two for once.