Soccer

Soccer squad hopes to get ahead at home

The Cougars look to have another undefeated homestand this weekend, leading off with a match against Colorado College on Friday and closing with UTEP on Sunday.

The Cougars have a chance to get on the inside track in the C-USA standings with wins this weekend. | Brianna Morrison/The Daily Cougar

After losing 0-2 to the Tigers last season, the Cougars will try to earn their first win in school history against Colorado College. They have lost their previous four games with the Tigers, who are 4-2-4 this season.

The biggest part of the Cougars’ success is its defense, along with goalkeeping that has only allowed five goals this season. Goalkeeper Cami Koski said the defense has helped prevent scoring opportunities.

“Steph Derieg, she’s awesome,” Koski said. “She’s very aggressive. She can read the ball very well. Also, Danielle Munoz is solid in the back. She has no fear, she’s ready for any tackle.”

Sunday’s match against the Miners will be important because of its impact on the Conference-USA standings. Currently, the Cougars are part of a four-way tie for first in C-USA with UTEP, Rice and UCF.

The Miners also play the Owls on Friday night, which means the Cougars have an opportunity to separate themselves from the pack if they can pick up wins this weekend. The Miners are currently ranked 29th overall nationally and defeated then-25th ranked Memphis last weekend, but the Cougars are ready for the challenge.

Both games will be played at Robertson stadium, with the match against the Tigers getting underway at 7 p.m. and the showdown with the Miners at 1 p.m Sunday.