Soccer

Soccer team blanks Miners 2-0 to take C-USA lead

The Cougars outlasted the Miners on their way to another undefeated homestand, and a share of first place in Conference USA, beating UTEP 2-0 Sunday at Roberston Stadium.

“I’d like to say that we’re the fittest team in Conference-USA,” senior Kaitlin Thulin said. “We have more energy and we can last longer. We break teams down in the 60, 70, 80 minutes.”

The Cougars’ fitness cannot be overstated, as they outscore their opponents 18-3 in the second half.

UTEP goalkeeper Chandra Morden had to come out of the goal to defend against Kylie Cook’s cross, and that allowed Adelman to punch the ball in and give the Cougars the advantage.

The Cougars’ second goal came on a cross from Thulin to Byrne, which sealed the game for the Cougars.

“I positioned myself wide. Kylie played me a ball over the top, took a touch, looked up, my teammate Lauri was making a great run near the post, drove it into her and she had a great goal,” Thulin said.

The goal was Byrne’s fifth of the season — and twelfth of her career — to tie her with Sarah Fisher for seventh on the Cougars’ all-time goals scored list.

Friday, the Cougars narrowly took the lead over SMU with a 1-0 win in overtime. Sami Sackos hit the clutch goal in the 96th minute to give the lady Coogs the win.

The Cougars will look to extend their winning streak on their upcoming road trip against UCF and Southern Mississippi.

“We’re just taking baby steps,” head coach Susan Bush said. “We’re not worried about rankings, awards, honorable mentions or anything like that. We’re just here to play the game and get some results. I think in the back our team’s mind is, ‘can we be the best in our program’s history?’

“We’re not worried about anyone else right now. They’re on a mission to get on the map in women’s soccer and they’re doing a good job.”

The Cougars will face off against UCF on Oct. 8 in Orlando, Fla., followed by a matchup against Southern Miss. in Hattiesburg, Miss., on Oct. 10.